The new year has proved to be testing so far. I got a new job plus some video projects on the side. I also live back and forth between San Francisco and Hayward. Life has been hectic. But when my friends invited me for a long overdue (vegan) get-together, I couldn’t resist saying yes and penciling it in to my schedule.
The theme was to bring a vegan dish we’ve never made before. At first, I thought I would never find time to research and cook something new especially with my current schedule. I remembered reading a post on Oh, LadyCakes about a vegan pie recipe that does not require an oven or a dehydrator. Granted I still needed a high speed blender and a freezer, I knew the process would be fast and doable.
There was only one slight problem. I didn’t have the ingredients the recipe was calling for! I didn’t have time to shop. Except for dates and lemon, I had to replace everything. Instead of bananas, I used frozen mangoes and pineapple. I did have some small bag of walnuts so I combined those with almonds. I also used almonds to replace cashews. And because I didn’t have time to soak my raw almonds overnight, I boiled them instead until slightly tender. As for added sweetness, I used mango juice and skipped making the salted caramel part (ain’t nobody got time for that!).
Here’s my version:
Raw Vegan Mango Pie
- 1 1/2 cup combined walnuts and almonds
- 4-6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/4 cup almonds, soaked overnight (or in my case, I boiled them until slightly tender)
- 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup mango juice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Using a high speed blender or food processor, blend the walnuts, almonds, and dates until crumbly. Set aside. Ta-dah you have a crust.
2. To make the cream pie, using a high speed blender, puree the mango and pineapple chunks, almonds, mango juice, and lemon juice.
3. To assemble, place the crust on a serving pan and squeeze it down tightly. Top with the cream and distribute evenly. Put the pie to the freezer for at least 3 hours until the cream is slightly frozen.
4. You may garnish with fruit on top, or serve with vegan whip cream or vegan ice cream on the side.
I’m relieved the ingredients worked because it was a hit at the party! Feel free to try the recipe and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!