I usually get off work around 7pm and it takes me another half hour (or more with heavy traffic) to get home. By the time I’ve arrived at home, I would already be starving with no energy to cook. During these times, I would open the fridge to look for something easy to make in less than 30 minutes.
One night I found a Kale salad pack and leftover jackfruit from my “Bilo-bilo” dish. Then I thought, “What if I make adobo then replace the vinegar with jackfruit and a little bit of its syrup to shift adobo to the sweeter side?” I executed this with great results. I wish I thought of this sooner!
Ready in 10 minutes: Kale Adobo with Jackfruit
- 1 bunch Kale (or in my case, I used a Kale salad package with bits of julienne carrots and red cabbage)
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3-4 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1-2 pcs of jackfruit, minced
- 1 tbsp jackfruit syrup, from sweetened canned jackfruit
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat a medium pan or wok over medium heat.
- Pour the cooking oil and once it’s hot (about 1-2 minutes), add the garlic and saute for 20-30 seconds. Don’t thoroughly saute the garlic, just a quick saute before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the kale, jackfruit, soy sauce, and pepper. Mix well then simmer for another 30 seconds then adjust seasoning to taste. (You may add the jackfruit at the same with the kale or add the jackfruit later for garnish). Simmer for another 5-8 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice on the side.
As most adobo dishes, this vegan version also gets better over time so the leftovers actually taste better than the first serving. Enjoy it for dinner then enjoy it again for breakfast. It’s that simple-and good!