Inspired by recipes from fellow bloggers, I whipped up this simple yet delicious dish highlighting quinoa, tofu, and kale. The idea to use quinoa came from Wendy at Cooking Quinoa, the baked tofu from Kristy at Keepin It Kind, and the kale from all the wonderful recipes I’ve seen with kale (and there are tons of them). The recipe below is all my own but the inspiration credits to these talented bloggers/cooks/artists.
Quinoa with Baked Tofu and Fresh Kale Shreds
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water + vegetable bouillon (or 4 cups vegetable broth)
- 1 pack extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 small bunch of kale, thoroughly washed and shredded to pieces
For the tofu marinate:
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the tofu for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 375 degrees. Drizzle olive oil on a baking tray then add the marinated tofu.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and flip the tofu to cook the other side. Bake again for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth. Simmer until the quinoa softens (about 30-40 minutes).
- Drain the quinoa from the broth (if there’s any liquid left) and pour the quinoa on a serving container.
- Mix in the tofu and shredded kale.
- You’re done! Enjoy!
The result is a great combination of savory flavors from the quinoa, sweet notes from the baked tofu, and fresh texture from the kale. I decided that fine shreds is the best way to incorporate kale so every bite is fun and easy to chew. By the way, feel free to customize and play with this recipe by adding other ingredients like sauteed onions for example. So many possibilities!
As I am inspired by fellow cooks and bloggers…
I’m honored to find out that other folks have also been inspired by my recipes. I’ve kindly asked these folks to take photos of their creations and here’s what they sent me:
Brooke aka @ChiChick7 on Twitter, gave her own twist by using whole wheat flour.
Amanda aka @AmandadeJoya on Twitter created her own version of Rainbow Chard Saute with Mushroom and Veg Ground Beef by adding quinoa (yum!).
Eva aka @Esk on Twitter also used the Chard saute recipe and took this lovely photo. Can you spot the Space Needle?
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to these awesome ladies for trusting me and my recipes. I am truly honored!
To anyone else who has tried my recipes, please feel free to let me know and I’ll make sure to send my proper thanks and feature your creation here.