Pichi-Pichi is a popular cassava snack covered in delicious grated coconut. It’s pronounced “pee-chee pee-chee”. I’m surprised I don’t see much of it at Filipino stores considering it’s so easy to make. Oh well, homemade is usually better anyway. The recipe below came from my sister, Roczane (her inaugural guest post!). Roczane is not vegan but keeps an open mind-and palate to vegan food and lifestyle. One strong proof is her homemade Pichi-Pichi.
- 1 pack of grated cassava, frozen
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 pack of grated coconut, frozen
- Thaw cassava and grated coconut
- Drain grated coconut and keep it cool in the refrigerator until needed
- Mix cassava , sugar, and water in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 15-20 min (depending on how soft or hard you want it) Mix every 5 minutes or until there are no clumps.
- Let cool for a few minutes
- Use 2 spoons to scoop and shape
- Dip cassava on the grated coconut
Roczane is a professional makeup artist and a hospital buyer. With her busy schedule, she rarely gets a chance to cook. Her Pichi-Pichi recipe is one of her favorites because it’s fast to make and requires only a few ingredients. She’s not the only fan, Pichi Pichi is considered a Filipino favorite dessert.